Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cycling Trivialities

Discomfort
Sadness
Anger
Anxiety
Disappointment

For my whole life when any negative emotion crossed my heart I automatically searched for a way out.  I thought...
"Okay, how can I cover this up?"
"How can I erase this?"
"Who or what will make me feel better?"
"How can I forget?"

Just now, twenty years later, I am finally realizing that this is no way to approach these emotions.

I sit here with a heavy heart. 
I'm going through a lot right now... I'm sure you are too. 
There's this feeling I get...my exhales are shaky.  My shoulders are heavy.  I just want to dump it all out of my mind and my thoughts; I want to find any possible way out.
After all, we're human. We just want to be happy.

Finally, I've realized that the only way to defeat these sorts of emotions is to face them head on.
You've got to conjure up the courage in your heart to overcome them.
You can find solace in what someone else says or in ignorance. 
You can feel happy by forgetting.
You can even pretend like these feelings never existed in the first place.
But I promise you, this will only come back to bite you.  This will only temporarily soothe.

Dig deep inside yourself and remember you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment