Monday, November 25, 2013

The Scary Realization That Most Of It Is For You

I'm not sure if you're still all there, but I know at least one finger is touching the right side of my beating chest. And I think that it always will be.

"You're the good things."
"Maybe that's just it... maybe we get a whole playlist."

You opened my closed mind and held close my heavy heart.
You were in my blood.

I don't think I've ever figured out how to clean myself of you.
But the truth is, I wouldn't ever want to.

I am still in love with August 2011 when our kiss stopped time.
With little self-control late that September evening when you grabbed my hair on the front porch.
     A walk to the lake and an arm around me put me in a place I had never been.
With a text message "I like you, you know"
     Something small felt so big.
With November 12th when you said you loved me for the first time.
With all the nights we both spent alone, our thoughts and words yet together.
     All the movies we watched apart at the same time.
With April 8th, 2012 when I kissed you again.
With May 25th when we held hands and shared chicken nuggets, mustard tiger.
    An ice cream cone painted on your stomach, you were truly mine.
With September when you thought 'friends' was better and left my heart  raw.
With November when I was back in your sweatshirt.
With December when I shared with you a Christmas gift and my bed on a regular basis.
With January 2013 when I picked you up from being with another girl.
     You said you loved me in passing.
With March when your house was still cold but I sat in my jacket soaking in the sound of your drums.
With June and July when most nights we were next to each other and most mornings we had pancakes.
With August with every last second.
And with Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment